Makes about 6 cups. Source: FarmgirlFare.com.
- ~2 medium onions, peeled and chopped coarsely
- ~2 medium potatoes, cut into 3/4″ dice
- 1/2 medium size cabbage, chopped into 1/2″ to 3/4″ dice
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + black pepper
- Another 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 cups organic chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup organic whole milk (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oven to 425°. Combine the potatoes, onions, and garlic in a stainless steel roasting pan. Add the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper and toss to coat the vegetables evenly. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and another 1/2 teaspoon salt to the roasting pan, toss to combine, and roast until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and place it over two burners on the stove. Stir in 2 cups of the chicken stock and cook over low heat for a few minutes, scraping up any dark and crispy roasted bits that are stuck to the pan.
- Transfer the contents of the roasting pan to a 3 or 4 quart pot. Stir in 2 more cups of chicken stock, plus the milk and/or Pecorino Romano if using.
- Use an immersion blender or counter top blender to carefully purée the soup, adding up to 1 more cup of chicken stock if it’s thicker than you like. Cook over low heat until hot, check the seasonings, and servce, garnished as desired.