Serves 4 persons.
- 1 tablespoon olive or preferred oil
- 1/2 pound potatoes, skin on, cut 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups stock
- 1 1/2 cups white beans, precooked or canned (drained & rinsed well)
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 3 bay leaves
- Pepper to taste
- A big pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Warm the olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the salt and potatoes. Cover and cook until they are a bit tender and starting to brown a bit, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, onion and zucchini and cook for another minute or two. Add the stock, seasoning and beans and bring the pot to a simmer.
Stir in the cabbage and cook for a couple more minutes, until the cabbage softens up a bit. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Sprinkle cheese on top before serving.