- 4 medium beets with green tops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 flank steak (or your preferred cut of meat) per person
- Oil for frying pan
Preheat oven to 375°F. Trim green tops from beets; cut off stems and discard, reserving greens. Gently scrub 4 beets and set aside. Toss beets with 2 tablespoons oil in roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt. Cover pan with foil. Bake until beets are tender, about 50 minutes. Let beets stand covered at room temperature 20 minutes. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Whisk crème fraîche, horseradish, lemon juice, and minced shallot in medium bowl. Add beets and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature at least 20 minutes. Can be made 2 hours ahead.
Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chopped rosemary, minced garlic, and ground black pepper in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add steak; turn to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Remove steak from marinade; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill/pan fry steak to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved beet greens; sauté until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 3 minutes.
Thinly slice steak crosswise. Divide steak among 6 plates; surround with sautéed beet greens. Place horseradish beets alongside.