- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mint leaves lightly packed
- 3/4 pound eggplant
- cooking oil for deep frying
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 jalapeno chile seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup (thai, if possible) basil leaves lightly packed
Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Wash mint leaves and dry thoroughly. Slice the eggplants into rounds.
In a wok or 2-quart pan, heat oil for deep-frying to 375° F. Deep fry the eggplants and garlic until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the jalapeno, onion, and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add eggplants, garlic, basil, mint, and sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook until eggplants are tender, 5-6 minutes.
Kate (an intern at the original source) recommends serving this with pork belly: and rice.