By popular demand, here is a repost of something we dug up from our 2010 archives. We always get great feedback from this recipe, and it’s in our opinion one of the easiest and most tasty way to prepare kale.
- Some kale
- Spices and flavors, according to your inspiration:
- nutritional yeast1
- parmesan-style cheese
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- On a sheet pan, place the kale leaves on a single layer, sprinkle with spices and flavor ingredients, add a dash of oil.
- Place in oven, and let it cook for about 10 minutes or until crisp.
The directives above are for when you are in a hurry. If you have the time, it’s better to cook the chips at the lowest possible temperature to keep all the nutrients: about an hour at 200°F with a convection oven, or 6 hours at 115°F in a dehydrator.
The fun thing about making you own kale chips is that you can make any flavor you would like (curried, pesto, cheesy). You could also blend tahini, tamari, cider vinegar, scallions, garlic, lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Be creative!
- Nutritional yeast (Redstar type) can be found in natural health food store under the form of flakes (It actually looks like fish food…). It is filled with B vitamin riboflavin and filled with yumminess! ↩