Source: Nourished and Nurtured Blog
- 4 beets, peeled and chopped
- 7 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 Tbs butter
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- Sea salt
- Beet greens, rinsed very well and chopped (optional)
- 1 to 1,5 cups chicken broth (use 1 cup if you aren’t including beet greens; use 1,5 cups if you are including the greens)
- Optional garnishes: balsamic vinegar, sour cream, bread and butter pickles
- Place the butter, beets, and carrots in a pot and season generously with salt. Cook over medium-high heat for about 20-25 minutes, allowing the beets and carrots to caramelize in the heated butter. Stir occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic, and saute for about a minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the broth and optional beet greens. Season with salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 30-40 minutes, uncovered, allowing the broth to cook down. Stir occasionally. The beets are done when they are nice and soft. Check for saltiness and turn off heat.
- Cool slightly and serve. Delicious on its own, or you can add either a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or a scoop of sour cream. The beets and carrots pair particularly well with bread and butter pickles. Leftovers are great when served with scrambled eggs for breakfast.