Source: Nourished and Nurtured blog
- 3 lb pork roast (preferably bone-in)
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taset
- 14 oz diced tomatoes with juice, canned or fresh
- 8 carrots, chopped into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 4 zucchinis, sliced thinly, optional
- 3 Tbs dried sage (or parsley or basil)
Preparation (Away from home all-day method)
- Spread the onions, cabbage, and carrots over the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the pork roast on top of the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the diced tomatoes around the roast and add water until the roast is just barely covered or even sticking out a little bit. Season with salt, pepper, and most of the dried herb (reserving about 1 Tb dried to add before the last bit of cooking).
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6-8 hours.
- As soon as you arrive home, pull the pork roast out onto a cutting board. Shred the meat with a fork, or slice it across the grain.
- Return the meat to the pot and nestle it down into the liquid. Stir the sliced zucchini and reserved spices into the pot. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed. Turn the heat to “Warm” (or the oven to 150) and let it sit for 30 to 60 minutes. This step allows the meat to soak up the juices and get super moist.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.