Source: Nourished and Nurtured blog
- 3-4 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 8 oz cooked bacon or ham, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond flour or other flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Butter (or other cooking fat, such as bacon grease, coconut oil, olive oil)
- Sour cream, to garnish Oignons
1. Shred the veggies and remove the water: Using a grater, shred the squash and carrots. Combine the shredded veggies with 1.5 tsp salt, stir well, and place in a colander placed over a bowl and let sit for several hours. This is a very important step to pull the water out of the veggies.
2. Rinse and drain the veggies: While still in the colander, rinse the shredded veggies with plenty of water and then drain well. Press down on the veggies to really squeeze the water out.
3. Combine veggies and other ingredients: In a medium bowl, combine veggies, bacon or ham, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, eggs, almond flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Stir well.
4. Heat skillet: Heat a skillet over medium heat. You’ll know it is ready when a drop of water sizzles immediately.
5. Cook cakes in butter: Melt some butter on the skillet. Use a large spoon to scoop the veggie/cheese mixture onto the skilet. Cook the cakes over medium-low heat, flipping them after about 7-10 minutes. Allow them to become nicely browned. Melt some more butter and continue cooking the cakes, a few at a time.<
6. Garnish and enjoy: Top the cheese and veggie cakes with a smear of sour cream, and enjoy!