Source: Nourished and Nurtured blog
3/4 cup chicken or beef stock
2 cups green beans
3 Tb butter or combination of butter and bacon grease
freshly ground pepper
pinch of nutmeg
- Combine the green beans and chicken stock in a medium pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat to a low boil, over medium flame, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Skim and discard the foam.
- Add the butter and put a lid on the pot. Allow to simmer covered until the beans are nearly done to your liking, or for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat to medium high. Boil the beans for several minutes, until the moisture from the chicken stock has evaporated.
- Allow the beans to continue to cook over a medium high flame for a few more minutes. They should be sizzling in the butter. Reduce the heat if the beans start to burn. Stir them occasionally, but not too often as you want to caramelize them a bit in the butter.
- About a minute before they are done, sprinkle a pinch of nutmeg over the beans and give them a stir. Also taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve and enjoy! It makes a nice side dish with roasted chicken or pan-fried steak.